Monday, March 2, 2009

Second Life too weird? "There" too bland?

My experience with There was unfortunately limited by its PC-only format, but when I did visit as a generic avatar I found other residents to be more helpful and a lot less intimidating than avatars I encountered in Second Life. In both worlds, I felt the signage and help modules to be less instructive than I would have liked, so a little courtesy from more knowledgable visitors went a long way with me. I actually had a very hostile owner insult me and throw me off his island in Second Life, even though I explained I wasn't aware that it was bad form to "sleep" in his space. Visually, I like the extreme design of Second Life better than the middle America look of There, but I also felt out of place and constantly in danger of doing the wrong thing. Maybe I belong in Second There! 

1 comment:

  1. Just like the real world, you can't judge a virtual world by just a few experiences. SL is full of wonderful people like me who like to help others. Besides, isn't it common sense not to "sleep" on someone's property virtual or not? :)

    If you are interested in SL, my avatar is MarlaSinger Andel. Feel free to contact me in-world and I'll be happy to help you orient yourself. By the way, I'm a grad student and veteran English teacher...

    ReplyDelete